Editor's Inbox: Will my business see the light of the day?

EFE WRITES…

Dear Mr. Cutter,
I have started a new shoe and bag business. The material I am using to design my wares is made of straw. Now, my challenge is I do not know how well this will sell on the market. Also, I hear it is very difficult to secure loans from the banks for such a business. Moreover, the competition in the shoes and bags industry has become very keen. I have already produced 500 pieces, but I do not know if my business will ever see the light of day. Please help.


MR. CUTTER REPLIES,  

Hello Efe,
I can see you are a very scared person and that is not good for business. Being an entrepreneur is not an easy task, you must be bolder than this. All of the issues you have outlined in your letter are just mirages. You are not a risk taker I presume, but you have to know that all businesses did not just spring up; they started from somewhere.

It doesn't matter where you go, you will always be faced with competition. Don’t look at what others are doing, just be yourself, be creative, find what makes you comfortable and find different ways of designing your wares. Sometimes, it is very difficult for people to accept something they are  not familiar with. However, with time, they will come to accept it. 

You talk about not finding market for your wares but you can start from home. Nobody gets products or services going viral like family and friends. Give them some of your wares to model for you, if people are interested, they will ask for you. You can also use social media platforms like WhatsApp, Twitter and Facebook to market them. Update your new wares constantly so people know you have more to offer. Also, make sure you leave your contact details on the images you upload, where it would be easy to contact you.

Financial institutions can sometimes be a nightmare if you are looking up to just them for help. However, I will recommend that you look within for funds. By that I mean asking trusted people like family and friends. You can also apply to the rural banks and small financial institutions whose focus are on start-ups just like yours.

Yes! your business will and can see the light of day, only if you are willing to take the risk and show the world what you have. Good luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Recent Posts

Facebook